Food insecurity is when a family lives without consistent access to adequate food due to lack of money and other resources at times during the year. That may mean that the family is struggling to avoid hunger, they are hungry, or at risk of hunger. They may not have enough money to buy food throughout the month or are faced with making trade-offs between basic needs, such as housing, utilities or medical bills, and purchasing nutritional foods.
· 1 out of every 6 children live in food in insecure homes (12.5 million in the U.S.).
· 1 out of every 5 food insecure children are estimated to live in homes that do not qualify for food programs.
· Food insecure children are found in all 50 states and D.C.
· GA is ranked # 12 with 503,370 food insecure children (20%)
· 84% of counties with high child food insecurity are rural
For more information:
Snack in a Backpack is a 501 (c) (3) nonprofit organization and your gift is fully tax deductible within the limits of the law.
Copyright © 2019 Snack in a Backpack - All Rights Reserved.
Powered by GoDaddy Website Builder