Donate Funds …
This is one of the best ways for individuals and organizations to help children in need in our community.
Bags for Babies
We just started a new program that covers toddlers and babies not in the school system yet. These children have needs too! It took off from the start and we just placed a small order with the food bank for some food items that will help Mom’s & Dad’s with small babies. Donations towards the food for this program will help us stay on track with our regular backpack program.
365 Elite Club
For only $1 a day, you can become an elite member with Snack in a Backpack. You will receive a plaque showing you joined the fight against childhood hunger and also feed 3 children for an entire school year!
For only $110, you can feed one child for an entire school year! You will receive a certificate showing you joined the fight against childhood hunger.
Small Donations Make a Huge Difference!
Any amount helps the program and can add up quick with everyone’s help. Around $2.50 feeds one child for an entire weekend! Yep – All the nutritional needs for 2 days in one bag.
Please donate now:
Donate Food or Hold A Food Drive…
Bags for Babies needs any type of baby food! Please make sure it is in date. We cannot distribute out of date baby food.
Backpack program needs:
– 3.5 oz servings of pudding
– 7 to 8 oz chefboyardee type meals
– 8 oz shelf stable Boost
– Individual servings of raisins
Allergy Free Items needed:
– Milk free granola bars
– Peanut free fruit and grain bars
– 8 oz shelf stable soy/almond milk
Also, we would love to partner with a natural food organization to ensure these children are receiving healthy and nutritious food, and also to teach them healthy can taste good!
Spread the word …
Help us to spread the word about our program to local business owners or to other people you know who might like to help or donate. We try to be very active in letting people know about our program, but we can always use more help spreading the word about how we can help hungry children in our community and yours. You can also start a backpack program in your community. Download this toolkit to get you started: Start my own backpack program
We prepare backpacks for the children every week. We can always use help with this process! We pack bags on Wednesdays, 9:30 a.m. at the Snack in a Backpack Headquarters located at 2460 East 1st St, Unit C-7 in downtown Blue Ridge. We are in the building where the Amish store used to be and where Pete’s Place restaurant is now. This is a fun way to get involved and get to know the people who really help pull this program together.
We also have a need for deliverers of the food to the local schools. Delivery teams come once a month to deliver bags to one of the eight schools in our program.
Fundraisers and Events are a fun way to help from time to time and we welcome all! This is a great way to get out and meet the community and support Snack at the same time! We currently need help with these upcoming events:
– September 5th, 2015 – Pic Nic Nac held by Good Samaritan from 9 am to 1 pm. We will have some yard sale items to sell and we will need help if you want to contribute an hour or so with us.
– September 12th, 2015 – Kiddie Korner at Blues & BBQ Fest – 2 to 4 hr shifts from 12 to 8pm. Free food, t-shirt, entry to Blues & BBQ Fest
– October 1st, 2015 – Steel Magnolias at The Blue Ridge Community Theater benefit for Snack. Come see the play and show your support!
– October 7th, 2015 – Kiwanis Community Service Conference from 9 am to 1 pm. Come sit at the booth and hand out newsletters with us!
– February 20th, 2016 – Our 5th Annual Bringin’ the Blues to Blue Ridge fundraiser event! We need lots of volunteers and you will have lots of fun! Free entry, t-shirt and dinner!
– June 2016 – 2nd Annual Kid’s Appreciation Day – (TBD) This is a fun day for the kids and for us. We enjoyed it this year and plan to have even more fun next year! We need help at the bouncy houses and the concession stand. You can also run a game if you wish! All businesses welcome. We just ask that you have a game or something for the kids to do. No soliciting please but you can put up your display or banner. This is a free day for the kids!
Click here for our Contact Page and let us know how you would like to help and we will work with you to find a suitable match.
Hold a fundraiser …
We are happy to work with you to plan a fundraiser for Snack in a Backpack. We have helped with the planning on many different types of events so we may be able to offer help and solutions.